Construction managers plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the activities of a construction company or a construction department within a company, under the direction of a general manager or other senior manager. They are employed by residential, commercial and industrial construction companies and by construction departments of companies outside the construction industry.
Progression to senior management positions is possible with experience.
- Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate construction projects from start to finish according to schedule, specifications and budget
- Prepare and submit construction project budget estimates
- Plan and prepare construction schedules and milestones and monitor progress against established schedules
- Prepare contracts and negotiate revisions, changes and additions to contractual agreements with architects, consultants, clients, suppliers and subcontractors
- Develop and implement quality control programs
- Represent company on matters such as business services and union contracts negotiation
- Prepare progress reports and issue progress schedules to clients
- Direct the purchase of building materials and land acquisitions
- Hire and supervise the activities of subcontractors and subordinate staff.
- A university degree in civil engineering or a college diploma in construction technology is usually required.
- A master’s degree in project management may be required.
- Several years of experience in the construction industry, including experience as a construction supervisor or field superintendent, are usually required.
- Extensive experience in the construction industry may substitute for post-secondary education requirements.
- Professional engineering status or construction trade certification may be required by some employers.
- assistant manager, construction
- bridge and building construction manager
- bridge construction superintendent
- building construction general contractor
- building construction superintendent
- building materials branch director
- commercial construction manager
- construction assistant manager
- construction expediter
- construction general contractor
- construction general superintendent
- construction manager
- construction operations manager
- construction project co-ordinator
- construction project manager
- construction project superintendent
- construction senior project manager
- construction site manager
- construction site superintendent
- construction special project manager
- construction superintendent
- general contractor
- general contractor, construction
- general superintendent, construction
- highway construction manager
- housing construction manager
- industrial construction manager
- manager, industrial construction
- manager, pipeline construction
- pipeline construction manager
- pipeline construction superintendent
- project co-ordinator, construction
- project manager, construction
- residential construction manager
- senior project manager, construction
- site manager, construction
- site superintendent, construction
- special project manager, construction
- superintendent, bridge construction
- superintendent, construction
- superintendent, pipeline construction
- Home building and renovation managers (0712)
- Senior managers – construction, transportation, production and utilities (0016)