Spouse Open Work Permit

Spouse Open Work Permit / SOWP



Spouse work permit, Spouse/common-law Open Work Permit, or SOWP for short, is a kind of open work permit and does not require any employer letter (Job Offer) or labor market impact assessment permit (LMIA). The holder can perform any work for any employer during the validity period of the work permit, or be self-employed . The length of the visa will be the same as that of the spouse’s student or work permit, and the renewal request can be made when the spouse renews.

Canada has always been encouraging and welcoming family reunions. International students who meet certain conditions or the spouse/legal partner of a work permit holder can apply for a Spouse/common-law Open Work Permit (Spouse/common-law Open Work Permit) and stay with their spouse in Canada.


  • Spouse/legal partner is an international student
  • The spouse/legal partner is a foreign worker, and the foreign worker needs to meet:
    • Approved to work in Canada for 6 months or more
    • Meet the minimum requirements for the job (usually at least a college diploma is required), and the occupation type is NOC 0, A or B
  • Applicants can apply for this type of open work permit while submitting an immigration application

Submit Method

  • Can apply online
  • You can also submit directly at the customs border

Documents Checklist

  • Application Form IMM5710
  • Marriage certificate, if not married, provide proof of common-law relationship
  • Identification of family members in Canada (study permit, work permit, maple leaf card or citizenship certificate, etc.)
  • Proof of family members studying and working in Canada, if they are citizens or permanent residents, submit the file number of the reunion immigration, etc.
  • Passport or travel document, you need to scan the first page, signature page and every page with visa and stamps
  • Digital photo. Click to view official photo requirements and specifications
  • Proof of financial support (Bank statements)
  • If your spouse has an open work permit, you must attach a copy of your spouse’s work permit to your application for an open work permit, along with: a letter from your spouse’s current employer that confirms they work there in a NOC O, A or B occupation, or a copy of your spouse’s employment offer or contract, and a copy of your spouse’s recent pay slips. (Reminder: Your permit will not be valid longer than your spouse’s work permit.)


Q: If the student visa holder has not yet started classes, can his spouse apply for a spouse work permit?

A: It is safest for the spouse to apply for a work permit after starting the course and ensuring full-time study status.

Q: Are there age restrictions and language requirements for spouse work permits?

A: Applicants who are married/legal partners who are over 18 years old can apply. There is no age limit and no language score is required.


  • The service fee does not include government fees, translation fees, notarization fees, delivery fees and other third-party fees



Processing Time

Program Categories Online
Canadian visa application processing time
Temporary Resident Visa
50 Days
Visitor Record
84 Days
Super Visa 79 Days
Study Permit Made Outside Canada
12 Weeks
Study Permit Made Intside Canada
14 Weeks
Study Permit Extension 53 Days
Post Graduation Work Permit Made Outside Canada 17 Weeks
Post Graduation Work Permit Made Inside Canada 97 Days
Briding Open Work Permit
97 Days
Canadian immigration application processing time
Express Entry
5 Months
Provincial Nominee Program
11 Months
Self-employed Immigration
50 Months
Federal Skilled Worker Program
5 Months
Start-up Visa
38 Months
Spouse/CommonLaw Sponsorship
10 Months
(Grand) Parents Sponsorship
24 Months
Canadian Citizenship/PR Card processing time
8 Months
PR Card
77 Days
PR Card Renewal
71 Days

Recent Posts


About Us

We are a licensed immigration company that can legally represent clients in applying for study, work, visitor visa and immigration in Canada. We are composed of a number of licensed immigration consultants approved by the Canadian immigration regulatory authorities. Our business categories include Canadian skilled immigration, express entry immigration, sponsorship immigration, and self-employed immigration. Our characteristics: sincere and attentive, professional and efficient, low prices, high success rate, transparent information.