Rural Entrepreneur Stream / RES
- Processing time
On February 16, 2022, the Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) was renamed as Alberta Advantage Immigrant Program (AAIP), and two new streams were launched – the Rural Entrepreneur Stream and Rural Renewal Stream.
Rural Entrepreneur Stream
The Rural Entrepreneurship Steam provides an immigration pathway for entrepreneurs who wish to start a new business or purchase an existing business in rural Alberta communities. Applicants will need to apply for a tourist visa to come to Alberta for an exploratory visit before purchasing a business. The requirements for applicants are as follows
- Have either a minimum 3 years of experience as an active business owner/manager or a minimum of 4 years of experience as a senior manager within the past 10 years；
- Completed a minimum of high school equivalent to the Canadian standard with an ECA；
- CLB 4；
- Minimum net worth of $300,000. All assets must be candidate’s own personal holdings or spouse’s or common-law partner’s；
- Minimum investment of $200,000 from candidate’s own (and/or spouse/common-law partner) equity. Higher levels of investment will be awarded more points；
- Minimum ownership of 51% for a new business. Business Partners must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents, or 100% ownership for business succession (the succession buy-out must result in a complete change in ownership where the candidate will assume full control of the business).
- New businesses must create at least one full-time job for Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents (not including relatives).
Applicants who meet the requirements need to submit an EOI score (out of 175). By evaluating the information in the EOI, business proposal, net worth statement and letter of community support, the AAIP will invite applicants with high scores to submit applications based on the applicant’s EOI score.
Rural Renewal Stream
Rural Renewal Stream is designed to address current labor needs and skills shortages in rural Alberta communities and help newcomers integrate into their communities. This process requires the community to be a designated community by the Government of Alberta. Applicants must be recognized by the designated community and meet all criteria for the Rural Revitalization Program. The basic requirements for applicants are as follows:
- At the time your application is submitted and at the time the AAIP assesses your application, you must have a valid Endorsement of Candidate Letter issued by the Economic Development Organization (EDO) of your designated rural community in Alberta；
- All candidates must have an Endorsement of Candidate letter from their designated community；
- At the time your application is submitted and at the time the AAIP assesses your application, you must have a bona fide full-time job offer or employment contract from an Alberta employer to work in an eligible occupation in your designated community；
- You must have the required licensing, registration or certification to work in your current occupation in Alberta or occupation in your Alberta job offer；
- Not a home-based address；
- At the time your application is submitted you must have a minimum of 12 months full-time work experience in an eligible occupation within the last 18 months prior to your application；
- Post-Graduation Work Permit holders are not required to meet the 12 months of work experience criterion;
- Minimum of 5 for each English language skill for NOC0,A,B jobs, or Minimum of 4 for each English language skill for NOC C, D jobs；
- At the time your application is submitted, you must have completed a minimum of high school education equivalent to the Canadian education standard or a foreign degree, diploma or certificate；
- At the time your application is submitted and at the time the AAIP assesses your application, you must demonstrate that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and your family members to settle in your designated community.
The Rural Renewal Stream has a 2-step process:
- A community designation process – community recruits newcomers to meet labour needs and provides an Endorsement of Candidate letter.
- Candidate submits the AAIP application.
The processing time of CIC will be updated weekly, please refer to the latest time announced by IC.
- The service fee is charged according to the customer’s situation. If the customer’s situation is more complicated, there may be additional charges (refer to customer evaluation).