Immigrate OINP Entrepreneur Stream
- Program Requirements
- Program Process
- EOI Scoring
- Processing Time
- Q & A
OINP Entrepreneur stream is one of the immigration categories under the Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP), which is suitable for entrepreneurs from outside Canada to open a new business in Ontario or buy an existing business in Ontario, and the business can provide substantial benefits to the local economy of Ontario.
There are a total of 10 conditions for the OINP Entrepreneur Stream that the applicant needs to meet. It is recommended that the applicant contact our company to assist the submission of the application, provide opinions and suggestions or provide assistance during the application process.
- Business Experience
- You must have at least 2 years of full-time business experience in the 5 years；
- As a business owner you must have had an active role in the business and owned at least one-third of the business；
- As a senior manager you must have had senior decision-making responsibilities in the business and managed the day-to-day operations of the business in whole or in part.
2. Net Worth
- If your business is within the Greater Toronto Area (City of Toronto and Durham, Halton, York and Peel regions) you must have a minimum personal net worth of $800,000 Canadian；
- If your business is outside of the Greater Toronto Area, you must have a minimum personal net worth of $400,000 Canadian.
3. Personal investment funds and minimum equity
- If your business is within the Greater Toronto Area, you must make a minimum personal investment of $600,000 Canadian; outside of the Greater Toronto Area, you must make a minimum personal investment of $200,000 Canadian.
- Must control at least one-third of the equity in the business.
- Must make a minimum personal investment of $200,000 Canadian and control at least of one-third of the equity in the business, if your proposed business is in the information and communications technology/digital communications sector then regardless of location.
4. Job creation
- If the business is to be located inside the Greater Toronto Area you must create at least two permanent full-time jobs for Canadian citizens or permanent residents, with a median wage level for the position in the area.
- If the business is to be located outside the Greater Toronto Area or in the information and communications technology or digital communications sector, regardless of location you must create at least one permanent full-time job for a Canadian citizen or permanent resident, with the median wage level for the position in the area.
5. Capital investment purpose
- The purpose of the business must be to make a profit from active income through the sale of goods and/or services.
- The business must comply with all applicable federal, provincial or municipal legal, regulatory and licensing requirements.
6. If purchasing an existing business
- must make at least one business-related visit to Ontario within 1 year from the date of registering an expression of interest;
- the business being purchased must have been in continuous operation by the same owner(s) for the previous 5 years;
- ownership of the business must be completely transferred to the applicant or any business partner;
- the previous owner(s) cannot retain any shares of the business;
- must use at least 10% of your personal investment towards improving or expanding the business in Ontario;
- must keep all permanent, full-time jobs in the business prior to the transfer of ownership;
- the proposed business must not have been previously owned/operated by current or former OINP business stream nominees.
7. Residency Requirement
- Must be physically living in Ontario for 75% of the time during which you are establishing your business.
8. Language Requirement
- You must be able to listen, read, write and speak English or French at a Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) Level 4.
9. Active management
- Must be actively involved in the day-to-day management activities of your business.
10. Performance Agreement
- Must meet all the commitments agreed to in your performance agreement, which are based on information provided in your EOI and business plan.
- First Stage
- Register an expression of interest by email；
- If invited, submit an online application within 90 days；
- Attend a mandatory interview； (if applicable)
- If your stage 1 application is successful, you must sign a performance agreement.
2. Second Stage
- Apply to IRCC for a temporary work permit, when a temporary work permit support letter is received；
- Establish your business – you have 20 months from the date you arrive in Ontario to implement your business plan and submit a final report；
- If your business meets all requirements, you can apply for provincial nomination；
- If you are eligible for provincial nomination, you can apply for permanent residence.
OINP Entrepreneur EOI Scoring, total points available is 200：
- Human Capital factors (80 points ）
- Investment factors (46 points）
- Business concept (74 points）
The application processing time will be updated every week, please refer to the latest time announced by the IRCC.
A: Project-based and seasonal business are not eligible, such as automated car wash business, holding companies, laundromats, pawnbrokers, pay day loan and related businesses, scrap metal recycling, tire recycling, a business involved in producing, distributing or selling pornography or sexually explicit products or services, or providing sexually oriented services, as well as businesses which have been previously owned or operated by a current or former OINP Entrepreneur Stream nominee or a nominee under the former investor component of the Opportunities Ontario program.
- The service fee is charged according to the customer’s situation.
- If the customer’s situation is more complicated, there may be additional charges (refer to customer evaluation)