Temporary Resident Visa Extension / Renewal
The temporary resident visa (TRV) renewal is not necessary to keep the visa valid in Canada. If you plan to leave and return to Canada, you need a valid temporary resident visa. According to the immigration law, it can only be issued by the overseas branches of IRCC. Therefore, before 2012, applicants in Canada can only renew their TRV by in person or by mailing to the US consulates in Buffalo, Detroit and other places.
- Temporary residents who hold study permits, work permits, and are in Canada must submit a temporary resident visa application through CPC-Ottawa. You can apply online or by mail.
- If you are in Canada and don’t have time to send your passport to Ottawa, you can apply for it online and then return to your country. When you receive the notice of sending your passport, you can send your passport to a local visa center for labeling.
- In Mainland China, only paper applications can be submitted to the Visa Center for renewal. There is a possibility of visa refusal this way, so it is usually recommended to apply in Canada.
- Usually applied online
- You can also apply on paper
- Need to mail the passport after approval
- IMM5257 Application Form
- Electronic photo (taken within 6 months)
- Transcript, proof of enrollment, acceptance letter for the next semester (work permit does not have this requirement)
- Scanned copy of study permit or work permit
- Scanned copy of passport (all non-blank pages)
- Proof of funds/confirmation of deposit (it is recommended to deposit more than 10,000 Canadian dollars in Canada; work permit does not have this requirement)
A: The TRV is a Canadian entry visa. If you do not leave the country, its expiration does not affect your study in Canada. However, if you need to leave the country, you need a valid TRV to enter again.
A: Canada and the United States have related agreements. If you go to US by land and US only, then you do not need a TRV on your return to Canada. But there are also exceptions for those whose attendance status at school is not very good. It is recommended to renew the TRV before traveling.
A: When applying for a TRV renewal, you need to submit transcripts of at least 2 past semesters. If your results are not satisfactory, it may affect the chance of visa approval.
- The service fee does not include government fees, translation fees, notarization fees, delivery fees and other third-party fees