(Grand) Parents Sponsorship

Parents / Grand Parents Sponsorship / PGP



Parents/Grand Parents Sponsorship is called Parents/Grand Parents Sponsorship. Canadian citizens or permanent residents who are over 19 years old are eligible to sponsor their parents and grandparents to apply for Canadian permanent resident status. Parents reunited immigrants will be open to submit applications for immigration purposes on October 13, 2020, with an estimated quota of 10,000. There are expected to be 30,000 places in 2021. IRCC selection time is to be determined.

In 2020, parents’ reunion immigration will no longer be reviewed in the order of submission, but instead will be randomly drawn. Applicants need to fill out an online form to express their willingness to reunite. The Immigration Bureau will randomly select and invite applicants to submit complete materials.

But in any case, for clients applying for parental reunification, the minimum income requirement remains unchanged. According to the size of the family, the guarantor needs to meet the income standard in the three years before the application, including each year during the immigration process. At the same time, as long as the spouse is willing to sign together, the income can be combined.


  • The sponsor must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. For those holding temporary visas, it is currently not possible to sponsor parents/grandparents to reunite and immigrate. At the same time, the sponsor must be over 18 years old. If the Canadian citizen is a child, he cannot sponsor his parents/grandparents.
  • The sponsor needs to be able to accurately calculate the number of family members and use this to calculate the minimum income requirement for the guarantee. Because applying for parent/grandparent reunion immigration depends on the total number of family members (usually including the sponsor, spouse, minor children, parents/grandparents of the applicant and spouse in the reunion application, and other relatives who are sponsoring or are still in the support period), Then calculate the family income level, so applicants need to carefully calculate the total number of households before submitting.
  • The sponsor’s income must meet the requirement, which is 1.3 times the LICO (Minimum Family Income in Canada), which is determined based on the above-mentioned family population. Not only does family income need to meet this standard in the past three years, it also needs to be maintained during the application process. The total income before tax should refer to NOA’s Line 150. (If the sponsor resides in Quebec, only 1 year of tax filing records are required). (Due to Covid-19 in 2020, it is only necessary to meet the Lico standard, and 1.3 times of Lico is not required)
  • Sponsor agreement. The sponsor must sign the sponsor agreement, agree and guarantee that the applicants (parents/grandparents) will be provided financial support for 20 years (10 years in Quebec).

Income Requirements

If the sponsor lives outside of Quebec, the income of each year including the immigration process must be at least 1.3 times the Canadian Low income cut-offs (LICO) in the 3 years before the application. Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, there is no need to increase by 30% in 2020.







2 persons







3 persons







4 persons







5 persons







6 persons







7 persons







If more than 7 persons, for each additional person, add







Submission Method

According to the experience in 2019, paper applications need to be mailed to CPC-Ottawa. After that, if the applicant lives in China, the case will be transferred to Hong Kong.

Parent/grandparent reunion immigration currently only accepts paper applications.

Documents Checklist

  • The sponsor needs to provide a photocopy of any of the following materials: a double-sided copy of the PR Card, or immigration paper (IMM 1000), or a permanent residence confirmation document (IMM 5292 or IMM 5688); or a Canadian citizenship certificate (double-sided copy); Or Canadian birth certificate; or Canadian passport homepage;
  • If the spouse is a joint sponsor, a copy of the marriage certificate is required;
  • If the spouse is a joint sponsor, the materials in 1 are also required;
  • Documents to prove the relationship between the sponsor and the applicant: a copy of the sponsor’s birth certificate; if you are sponsoring the parents of the parents, a copy of the parents’ birth certificate is required;
  • Provide the original tax forms for the most recent 3 tax years (just print them out). It can be obtained free of charge from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). If it cannot be provided, a separate explanation letter is required;
  • Copy of the first page of the passport of the applicant and accompanying persons;
  • Marriage certificate or cohabitation declaration of the main applicant and accompanying spouse (IMM 5409);
  • Proof of the relationship between the principal application and the accompanying dependent children;
  • Birth certificates of all accompanying children.


Q: How to calculate the family population?

A: The income requirement of the sponsor is determined according to the number of members in each household. example:
Number of sponsor’s family: 2 couples + 1 child = 3
Number of parents who need to immigrate: Both spouses’ parents need to be sponsored = 2 + 2 = 4
Number of family members = number of sponsor’s family + number of sponsored parents = 3 people + 4 people = 7 people

Q: If the parents are divorced, how to calculate the family size?

A: Suppose you are married and have 1 child. After your parents divorced, the mother formed a new family with 1 spouse, and the father did not form a new family and was single.
If you want to only sponsor your mother, the total population of your family is 5, regardless of whether your mother’s spouse needs to come to Canada.
If you only want to sponsor the father, your family size is 4. If you want to sponsor both the mother and the father, the total family size is 6.

Q: My parents are married, but my father does not want to come to Canada. Only my mother comes to Canada. What is the family size?

A: If the parents are married, regardless of whether one of them comes to Canada or not, the calculation of the family population must include both father and mother.

Q: How long is the application processing time?

A: Currently, the official processing time announced by the Immigration Office is roughly 20-24 months. According to the latest notice issued by the Immigration Bureau, the Immigration Bureau will work to increase the processing speed of this category, so the processing time will be further shortened in the future.

Q: What is the latest income requirement? How to confirm whether the income meets the standard?

A: Sponsors who intend to apply in 2020 need to meet the income requirements for three consecutive years in 2017, 2018 and 2019. However, the Immigration Office has the right to request to view the income of 2020. So how to determine whether the income meets the standard, the sponsor needs to check the total income before tax (Line 150) of the Notice of Assessment for the past three years. If the couples pledge together, you can add up the income and check whether the total family income meets the standard for three consecutive years. When calculating the total income, the provincial government training program allowances, provincial government social relief, government resettlement financial subsidies, EI unemployment insurance payments, and old age allowances applied by the sponsor are not included in income and need to be deducted. At the same time, according to the Low Income Cut-off (LICO) required by the Canadian government for temporary residents in 2019


  • The service fee does not include government fees, translation fees, notarization fees, courier fees and other third-party fees



Processing Time

Program Categories Online
Canadian visa application processing time
Temporary Resident Visa
33 Days
Visitor Record
84 Days
Super Visa 92 Days
Study Permit Made Outside Canada
15 Weeks
Study Permit Made Intside Canada
12 Weeks
Study Permit Extension 45 Days
Post Graduation Work Permit Made Outside Canada 15 Weeks
Post Graduation Work Permit Made Inside Canada 91 Days
Briding Open Work Permit
91 Days
Canadian immigration application processing time
Express Entry
5 Months
Provincial Nominee Program
11 Months
Self-employed Immigration
51 Months
Federal Skilled Worker Program
5 Months
Start-up Visa
37 Months
Spouse/CommonLaw Sponsorship
11 Months
(Grand) Parents Sponsorship
20 Months
Canadian Citizenship/PR Card processing time
8 Months
PR Card
72 Days
PR Card Renewal
60 Days

Recent Posts


About Us

We are a licensed immigration company that can legally represent clients in applying for study, work, visitor visa and immigration in Canada. We are composed of a number of licensed immigration consultants approved by the Canadian immigration regulatory authorities. Our business categories include Canadian skilled immigration, express entry immigration, sponsorship immigration, and self-employed immigration. Our characteristics: sincere and attentive, professional and efficient, low prices, high success rate, transparent information.