Study Permit Extension

Study Permit Renewal / Extension



International students who are studying in Canada need to always pay attention to the validity of two visas: Study Permit and Temporary Resident Visa (TRV). When any of them are about to expire, you need to consider applying for renewal according to your actual situation. An international student applies for a study permit when entering Canada for the first time (a slightly larger A4 paper nailed to the passport). It is an important document for international students to hold their valid student status in Canada; It is worth noting that the study permit is a certificate for international students to maintain their legal status in Canada, and it cannot be used as the document provided when entering Canada.


Under normal circumstances, the validity period of the study permit and the TRV are the same, which is unlike tourist visits and family visits that only require a valid TRV to enter Canada. When entering Canada as a student, a valid study permit and a TRV are both required. Therefore, students are advised to not remove the study permit from their passports. In short, people must keep their study permits valid in Canada, and it does not matter if the TRV expires; entering Canada requires both documents to be within the validity period.

Submit Method

  • Can be submitted online
  • Can be submitted on paper. Put the completed and signed application form, checklist and service agreement, together with your passport, two photos, proof of payment for visa fee, service fee and express return fee, and all necessary application documentss into a sealed envelope. Mail it to the Canadian Visa Application Center.

Documents Checklist

  • IMM5709 form
  • Two-inch photos on white background taken in the past 6 months. Click to view official photo requirements and specifications
  • Passport scanned copy (all pages with your personal information, visa information, immigration information)
  • Scanned copy of original study permit
  • Colored scans or photos of the front and back of your ID card
  • Enrollment Certificate
  • Admission Notice (Offer or Letter of Acceptance)
  • Transcript showing the results of the last 2 semesters
  • Certificate of deposit for the past 6 months. Usually only need to have a total value of or over 10,000 Canadian dollars within Canada (stamp required), no account frozen, turnover or history required
  • IMM5646 Guardian Consent Form (if underage)
  • If there are any special situations, please explain in detail (for example, explaining why you have not maintained full-time status while studying or have refusal history)


Q: When do you start preparing to renew your student visa?

A: For study permit, submit the application at least 3 months before the expiration date. It might takes 2 to 3 months to review in the case of receiving too many applications.
However, if you have plans to leave Canada in the near future, you must also consider the time required to apply for a TRV, as well as the processing speed of the immigration office. Renew the TRV after the student visa.
Note: If your passport is about to expire, you must apply for a new passport first. The length of the study visa will not exceed the validity period of the passport. In addition, if you want to return to China to visit relatives and need to renew the TRV, it is best to renew the study permit first. Otherwise there is a risk of rejection for the TRV.


  • The service fee does not include government fees, translation fees, notarization fees, express fees and other third-party fees



Processing Time

Program Categories Online
Canadian visa application processing time
Temporary Resident Visa
61 Days
Visitor Record
98 Days
Super Visa 88 Days
Study Permit Made Outside Canada
7 Weeks
Study Permit Made Intside Canada
11 Weeks
Study Permit Extension 56 Days
Post Graduation Work Permit Made Outside Canada 23 Weeks
Post Graduation Work Permit Made Inside Canada 106 Days
Briding Open Work Permit
106 Days
Canadian immigration application processing time
Express Entry
5 Months
Provincial Nominee Program
11 Months
Self-employed Immigration
50 Months
Federal Skilled Worker Program
5 Months
Start-up Visa
39 Months
Spouse/CommonLaw Sponsorship
11 Months
(Grand) Parents Sponsorship
24 Months
Canadian Citizenship/PR Card processing time
7 Months
PR Card
50 Days
PR Card Renewal
74 Days

Recent Posts


About Us

We are a licensed immigration company that can legally represent clients in applying for study, work, visitor visa and immigration in Canada. We are composed of a number of licensed immigration consultants approved by the Canadian immigration regulatory authorities. Our business categories include Canadian skilled immigration, express entry immigration, sponsorship immigration, and self-employed immigration. Our characteristics: sincere and attentive, professional and efficient, low prices, high success rate, transparent information.