Permanent Resident Travel Document / PRTD

Permanent Resident Travel Document



Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD), is a travel document for a permanent resident outside Canada who does not have a valid Permanent Resident Card to return to Canada. The PRTD is to help permanent residents to satisfy transportation companies that they are allowed to travel to Canada as permanent residents.


You can apply for a permanent resident travel document if you:

  • are a permanent resident,
  • do not have a valid PR card showing your PR status,
  • are outside Canada, and
  • will return to Canada by airplane, boat, train or bus.

Submit Method

  • Can be submitted by mail or can be submitted online. If you apply online, submit your application and all required supporting documents through the Permanent Resident (PR) Portal.

Documents Checklist

  • IMM5444 Application Form
  • Proof of Residency Obligation: you must have been physically present in Canada for a minimum of 730 days within the five (5) years immediately before you apply for a PRTD.
  • IMM5476 Use of a Representative
  • Passport: all pages of current and valid passport, as well as old passports used in the past five (5) years.
  • Other supporting documents based on Country Specific Requirements.
  • Authorization for travel for minors (if applicable)
  • Legal Name Change (if applicable)
  • Humanitarian and Compassionate Grounds (if applicable)


Q: Can I use the Permanent Resident Travel Document for multiple entries?

A: No, the travel document is normally only valid for one single entry. You should apply for a new PR card as soon as you resume residence in Canada, unless you meet the requirements of living outside Canada on a long-term basis.

Q: What if my application for PRTD is refused?

A: You will receive a refusal letter, explaining the reasons for the refusal and you can appeal afterwards with supporting documents.


  • The service fee does not include government fees, translation fees, notarization fees, delivery fees and other third-party fees



Processing Time

Program Categories Online
Canadian visa application processing time
Temporary Resident Visa
34 Days
Visitor Record
73 Days
Super Visa 100 Days
Study Permit Made Outside Canada
13 Weeks
Study Permit Made Intside Canada
13 Weeks
Study Permit Extension 64 Days
Post Graduation Work Permit Made Outside Canada 14 Weeks
Post Graduation Work Permit Made Inside Canada 95 Days
Briding Open Work Permit
95 Days
Canadian immigration application processing time
Express Entry
5 Months
Provincial Nominee Program
12 Months
Self-employed Immigration
52 Months
Federal Skilled Worker Program
5 Months
Start-up Visa
37 Months
Spouse/CommonLaw Sponsorship
8 Months
(Grand) Parents Sponsorship
27 Months
Canadian Citizenship/PR Card processing time
14 Months
PR Card
48 Days
PR Card Renewal
57 Days

Recent Posts


About Us

We are a licensed immigration company that can legally represent clients in applying for study, work, visitor visa and immigration in Canada. We are composed of a number of licensed immigration consultants approved by the Canadian immigration regulatory authorities. Our business categories include Canadian skilled immigration, express entry immigration, sponsorship immigration, and self-employed immigration. Our characteristics: sincere and attentive, professional and efficient, low prices, high success rate, transparent information.