Fishermen/women operate fishing vessels to pursue and land fish and other marine life. They are usually self-employed owner-operators of fishing vessels.
Progression to master or mate on fishing vessels over 100 gross tonnes is possible with additional training, licensing and experience.
Fishermen/women perform some or all of the following duties:
- Operate fishing vessel to pursue and catch fish and other marine life
- Select area for fishing, plot courses and compute navigational positions using compasses and charts or electronic fishing aids
- Steer vessel and operate navigational instruments
- Operate fishing gear, direct fishing operation and supervise fishing crew members
- Maintain engine, fishing gear and other on-board equipment
- Record fishing activities, weather and sea conditions
- Estimate costs of operations and plan budget for each fishing season
- Establish fish marketing plan and keep records of all financial transactions
- May transport fish to processing plants or fish buyers.
- Several years of experience as fishing vessel crew member or helper are usually required.
- A commercial fishing licence is required.
- Licences are required for each species of fish pursued.
- Trade certification for fish harvesters is available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador.
- beam trawl fisherman/womanbeam trawl fisherman, beam trawl fisherwoman
- clam dredge operator
- clam fisherman/womanclam fisherman, clam fisherwoman
- crab fisherman/womancrab fisherman, crab fisherwoman
- Danish seine fisherman/womanDanish seine fisherman, Danish seine fisherwoman
- fisherman/womanfisherman, fisherwoman
- fishing vessel skipper
- gill net fisherman/womangill net fisherman, gill net fisherwoman
- gillnetter skipper
- handliner fisherman/womanhandliner fisherman, handliner fisherwoman
- harpoon fisherman/womanharpoon fisherman, harpoon fisherwoman
- hoop net fisherman/womanhoop net fisherman, hoop net fisherwoman, pound net fisherman, pound net fisherwoman
- inshore fisherman/womaninshore fisherman, inshore fisherwoman
- line fisherman/womanline fisherman, line fisherwoman
- lobster fisherman/womanlobster fisherman, lobster fisherwoman
- longline fisherman/womanlongline fisherman, longline fisherwoman
- longliner fisherman/womanlongliner fisherman, longliner fisherwoman
- otter trawl fisherman/womanotter trawl fisherman, otter trawl fisherwoman
- pot fisherman/womanpot fisherman, pot fisherwoman
- pound net fisherman/woman
- prawn fisherman/womanprawn fisherman, prawn fisherwoman
- purse seine fisherman/womanpurse seine fisherman, purse seine fisherwoman
- scallop dredger
- seaweed dragger
- seaweed harvesting machine operator
- seiner fisherman/womanseiner fisherman, seiner fisherwoman
- shellfish fisherman/womanshellfish fisherman, shellfish fisherwoman
- shellfish harvester operator
- shore fisherman/womanshore fisherman, shore fisherwoman
- skipper, fishing vessel
- skipper, gillnetter
- swordfish fisherman/womanswordfish fisherman, swordfish fisherwoman
- trap boss – fishing
- trap fisherman/womantrap fisherman, trap fisherwoman
- troller fisherman/womantroller fisherman, troller fisherwoman
- weir fisherman/woman
- Fishing masters and officers (8261)
- Fishing vessel deckhands (8441)