Instructors in this unit group teach courses, such as motor vehicle or motorcycle driving, sailing and navigation, sewing or other courses, which are outside of educational institutions and not primarily job-related. They are employed by driving schools, fabric retailers and other commercial establishments or they may be self-employed. This unit group also includes modelling and finishing school instructors, driver’s licence examiners, who are employed by provincial governments and tutors who provide instruction in elementary or secondary school subjects.
The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
- Driving instructors instruct individuals on proper motor vehicle driving skills and traffic regulations, demonstrate and explain the handling and mechanical operation of motor vehicles and supervise individuals during practice driving.
- Driver’s licence examiners conduct road test examinations and evaluate the driving ability of applicants for driver’s licences.
- Sewing instructors give instruction to students in techniques and skills of sewing, tailoring and dressmaking.
- Modelling and finishing school instructors give instruction on comportment, personal development, make-up application and modelling techniques for fashion shows and magazine advertising.
- Expertise in the field of instruction must be demonstrated.
- Driving instructors must obtain special licensing as a driving instructor in the province of employment.
- Certification by the Canadian Yachting Association may be required for sailing and navigation instructors.
- auto-driving instructor
- beauty culture school instructor
- child safety educator
- driver’s licence examiner
- driving examiner
- driving instructor
- driving school instructor
- first aid instructor
- gourmet cooking instructor – non-vocational
- instructor, auto-driving
- instructor, beauty culture school
- instructor, first aid
- instructor, gourmet cooking – non-vocational
- instructor, modelling and finishing school
- instructor, motorcycle driving
- instructor, sailing
- instructor, self-improvement course
- instructor, sewing – non-vocational
- instructor, small boat navigation
- modelling and finishing school instructor
- motorcycle driving instructor
- sailing instructor
- self-improvement course instructor
- sewing instructor – non-vocational
- sewing teacher – non-vocational
- small-boat navigation instructor
- truck driving instructor
- tutor – elementary school subjects
- tutor – secondary school subjects
- College and other vocational instructors (4021)
- Elementary school and kindergarten teachers (4032)
- Secondary school teachers (4031)