Airline ticket and service agents issue tickets, provide fare quotations, make reservations, conduct passenger check-in, trace missing baggage, arrange for cargo shipments and perform other related customer service duties to assist airline passengers. Airline ticket and service agents are employed by airline companies. Load planners, who plan the positioning of cargo on aircraft, are also included in this unit group.
Depending on the size of the airline or airport, the duties of workers in this unit group may overlap.
Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
- Airline passenger and ticket agents help customers plan travel time and routes, prepare and issue tickets, assign seats, prepare boarding passes, check baggage, attend boarding gates, assist pre-boarding passengers and provide information on fares and flight schedules and routes.
- Airline baggage agents trace lost, delayed or misdirected baggage for customers.
- Airline cargo agents weigh cargo and compute freight costs, calculate charges for services and insurance, process bills of lading, cargo manifests and other documents, trace lost or misdirected cargo and maintain shipping and other records.
- Airline reservation agents reserve seats for tour companies, travel agencies, wholesalers and the general public using computerized systems, provide information on airline passengers and process mileage points.
- Airline station agents complete pre-flight documents regarding passenger and cargo load, catering count, special requests and other flight information and relay operational messages to operations control and downline stations. They also perform duties of ticket, baggage and cargo agents.
- Airline load planners calculate load weights for compartments of aircraft using charts and computers and plan load to distribute and balance cargo.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Several weeks of on-the-job and classroom training are provided for all occupations in this unit group.
- Airline station agents usually require experience as a ticket, baggage or cargo agent.
- Load planners require a restricted radio operator’s licence and usually require airline operations experience.
- agent ticket and information – airline
- agent, cargo – airline
- agent, check-in – airline
- agent, commissary – airline
- agent, counter services – airline
- agent, customer sales – airline
- agent, customer service – airline
- agent, load control – airline
- agent, passengers – airline
- agent, reservations – airline
- agent, station – airline
- agent, station services – airline
- agent, tickets – airline
- airline baggage agent
- airline cargo agent
- airline customer service representative
- airline load planner
- airline passenger agent
- airline reservation agent
- airline sales and service agent
- airline ticket agent
- baggage agent – airline
- baggage tracer, airline
- baggage tracing agent – airline
- cargo agent – airline
- cargo customer service representative – airline
- certified load control agent – airline
- certified load planner – airline
- check-in agent – airline
- clerk, reservations – airline
- client service representative – airline
- commissary agent – airline
- counter services agent, airline
- customer sales agent – airline
- customer service agent, airline
- customer service representative – airline
- flight agent
- load agent – airline
- load control agent – airline
- load planner, airline
- passenger agent, airline
- passenger sales agent – airline
- passenger sales representative – airline
- passenger service representative
- passenger service representative – airline
- representative, client service – airline
- representative, customer service – airline
- reservation agent – airline
- reservation agent, airline
- reservation clerk – airline
- reservation sales agent – airline
- sales agent, passengers – airline
- station agent, airline
- station services agent – airline
- ticket agent, airline
- ticket and information agent – airline
- tracer, baggage – airline
- Airline cargo and baggage handlers (See 7534 Air transport ramp attendants)
- Ground and water transport ticket agents, cargo service representatives and related clerks (6524)
- Supervisors of airline sales and service agents (See 6313 Accommodation, travel, tourism and related services supervisors)
- Travel counsellors (6521)