Submitting Within Canada
If you are in Canada, you can mail your passport in according to the folllowing steps：
- Print out the passport submission notice (Original Passport Request Letter-IMM5740) sent by IRCC
- Purchase 2 Xpresspost envelopes from Canada Post, 1 letter size (318 x 241 mm)，and 1 standard size (260 x 159 mm)
- The letter size envelope is used to mail in the passport, and the small envelope (standard size) is used by the immigration office to return the passport to you.
- Write down the mailing address of the IRCC visa section in the recipient section of the Letter size envelope:
Temporary Resident Visa Section CPC-Ottawa (e-Application) PO Box 9640 Ottawa, Ontario K1G 6T2
Note: It is recommended to use a ball-point pen to fill in the mailing address on both envelopes with appropriate force, so that the address you fill in can be clearly printed on the carbon paper. If you use a water-based pen to fill in, the handwriting could get accidentally erased and cannot be clearly printed, which could result in your letter not be mailed to the intended address.
- Write your address under the receiver section (under ‘To’) of the Standard size envelope, and do not fill in the sender column (under ‘From’).
- Take a photo or record the Tracking Number on both envelopes and check for the mailing updates on Canada Post’s website.
- Put the Standard Size envelope (unsealed) into the Letter Size envelope
- Put the passport inside the Letter size envelope. Keep in mind that:
- There is at least one blank page in the passport.
- Your passport cannot expire during your stay in Canada.
- The expiration date of the visitor visa will not exceed the expiration date of the passport, so please ensure that the validity period of the passport is long enough (at least beyond the validity period of the visitor visa).
- Print IRCC’s ‘approval letter’ (the one with Application no. inside) into a large Letter size envelope and send it out.
- You will receive your passport with the visitor visa within 2 to 3 weeks.
Keep in mind:
- If you do not follow the above procedures, the immigration office is not responsible if you lose your passport.
- Your passport must be submitted within 30 days (starting from the time written on the Request letter).
- Canada Post is the official post office designated by IRCC. If there is no special situation (such as post office going on-strike), it is best to send your passport via Canada Post.
If you use courier services other than Canada Post, such as UPS, Fedex, etc., the above steps remain the same. Please fill in the following mailing address on the large envelope:
Temporary Resident Visa Section CPC-Ottawa (e-Application) 365 Laurier Avenue West Ottawa, Ontario K1A 1L1
Submitting Outside Canada
After collecting biometric information (fingerprints) for Canadian visa or immigration applicants, they need to go to the visa center to submit their passport if they receive a notification letter for submitting their passport. Since there are only cities that give out visitor visas. For some applicants that cannot go to the visa centers, they can choose to mail their passports to the visa center for labeling, after receiving the notification letter for submitting a passport.
- Original passport
- Service Consent Form (the second page requires name, address, signature (need to be handwritten), date, the city where the visa center is located)
- Copy of Biometric information entry barcode
- Payment receipt of your payment for the courier service
- Use an A4 paper to print the mailing address, indicating the passport return address, contact name, telephone number, and e-mail address
- Printed version of passport submission letter
Submitting in Australia
After your biometrics information have been submitted for Canadian visa or immigration, if you receive a passport submission letter, you need to visit a visa center to submit your passport. Canada has 3 visa centers in Australia: Sydney, Melbourne and Perth. You can also choose to mail your passport to the visa center.
The procedures are as follows:
- Print a copy of the passport submission letter:
- Proof of fees payment: The 100 CAD application fee need to be paid when the application is submitted. It does require a passport delivery fee of 45 AUD and return fee of 19.15 AUD. (This fee goes to the Australian Post, the post office. You can let the staff know you are doing a Money Order to Visa Rep Services. The staff will then give you the payment receipt (which needs to be mailed to Embassy). It is recommended that you keep a copy of your personal information on the back of the payment receipt so it can be used to confirm with the embassy later. Write your name, the UCI number on the Request Letter. Refer to the official website link: https://visa.vfsglobal.com/aus/ en/can/additional-services)
- Attach a blank sheet of paper to write down your personal information: name, UCI, Application Number, email address, phone number, and passport return address.
- The service consent form of the visa center has three pages. If you do not hand it to a third party for processing, you only need to print 1-2 pages, write the information on the second page and sign it.
- Mail the checklist form, print, add checkmarks to the documents you submitted and sign
- Your passport will be mailed back. (If you are in Sydney, Melbourne or Perth, you can go directly to the embassy and hand in your original passport)
Passport Submission in Australia