NOC 4154 – Professional occupations in religion



Ministers of religion conduct religious services, administer the rites of a religious faith or denomination, provide spiritual and moral guidance and perform other functions associated with the practice of a religion. Ministers of religion perform these duties in churches, synagogues, temples or other places of worship. They may also work in other institutions such as schools, hospitals and prisons.

Progression to senior positions included in this unit group, within a religious order, is possible with experience.

Main Duties

Ministers of religion perform some or all of the following duties:

  • Conduct regular religious services
  • Administer rites of faiths such as marriages and funerals
  • Pray and promote spirituality by delivering sermons and other talks
  • Provide spiritual and moral guidance to members of a religious faith
  • Supervise, plan and administer programs of religious education
  • May participate in humanitarian endeavours, social services and welfare activities
  • May share in the administrative and financial operation of a religious community
  • May provide consultation services to government and other organizations.

Employment Requirements

  • Educational requirements vary, depending on the religion, and range from the completion of a college or other program in religious studies to a master’s of divinity degree.
  • A period of study with a senior minister is usually required.

All Titles

  • archbishop
  • archdeacon
  • assistant minister – religion
  • bishop
  • cardinal
  • chancellor – religion
  • chaplain
  • clergyman/womanclergyman, clergywoman
  • curate
  • evangelist
  • granthi
  • imam
  • minister
  • minister – religion
  • moderator – religion
  • officiating clergyman/womanofficiating clergyman, officiating clergywoman
  • parish priest
  • pastor
  • preacher
  • presbyter
  • priest
  • rabbi
  • reverend
  • Salvation Army commissioned officer
  • television evangelist


  • Other religious occupations (4217)



Processing Time

Program Categories Online
Canadian visa application processing time
Temporary Resident Visa
33 Days
Visitor Record
84 Days
Super Visa 92 Days
Study Permit Made Outside Canada
15 Weeks
Study Permit Made Intside Canada
12 Weeks
Study Permit Extension 45 Days
Post Graduation Work Permit Made Outside Canada 15 Weeks
Post Graduation Work Permit Made Inside Canada 91 Days
Briding Open Work Permit
91 Days
Canadian immigration application processing time
Express Entry
5 Months
Provincial Nominee Program
11 Months
Self-employed Immigration
51 Months
Federal Skilled Worker Program
5 Months
Start-up Visa
37 Months
Spouse/CommonLaw Sponsorship
11 Months
(Grand) Parents Sponsorship
20 Months
Canadian Citizenship/PR Card processing time
8 Months
PR Card
72 Days
PR Card Renewal
60 Days

Recent Posts


About Us

We are a licensed immigration company that can legally represent clients in applying for study, work, visitor visa and immigration in Canada. We are composed of a number of licensed immigration consultants approved by the Canadian immigration regulatory authorities. Our business categories include Canadian skilled immigration, express entry immigration, sponsorship immigration, and self-employed immigration. Our characteristics: sincere and attentive, professional and efficient, low prices, high success rate, transparent information.