NOC 4168 – Program officers unique to government



Program officers in this unit group are primarily concerned with the administration and operation of government institutions, such as Parliament, and activities unique to the operations of government, such as international relations, federal-provincial affairs, elections and tribunals.

Main Duties

Program officers unique to government perform some or all of the following duties:

  • Advise politicians or diplomats on the social, economic and political effects of government decisions on other governments in Canada or abroad
  • Plan intergovernmental meetings and conferences with officers of other municipal, provincial or federal governments
  • Co-ordinate the logistics and administration of elections within constituencies and ensure that electoral and voting procedures are followed
  • Co-ordinate administrative support services for legislative committees, royal commissions or tribunals
  • Participate as a member of a board or tribunal
  • Plan logistics and oversee diplomatic protocol of official visits to Canada by foreign politicians and dignitaries
  • Explain Canadian foreign and domestic policies to governments and nationals of foreign countries, and act on behalf of Canada abroad.

Employment Requirements

  • A bachelor’s degree is usually required.
  • A master’s degree may be required.
  • Several years of experience as a researcher, consultant or program administrator may be required.
  • Foreign service officers are accepted on the basis of competitive examination.

All Titles

  • Aboriginal land claims liaison officer
  • attaché
  • board member – government services
  • deputy returning officer
  • diplomat
  • election commission officer
  • elections officer
  • extraparliamentary commission officer
  • federal and intergovernmental affairs research officer – government services
  • federal-provincial relations officer
  • first secretary, foreign service
  • foreign service officer
  • government official
  • health authority board member
  • House of Commons committee officer
  • House of Commons officer
  • intergovernmental affairs officer
  • legislative committee officer
  • liaison officer, Native land claims
  • Native land claims liaison officer
  • officer, election commission
  • officer, federal-provincial relations
  • officer, foreign service
  • officer, House of Commons
  • officer, House of Commons committee
  • officer, intergovernmental affairs
  • officer, labour relations commission
  • officer, legislative committee
  • officer, legislative council
  • officer, office of the Speaker
  • officer, Office of the Speaker of the House of Commons
  • officer, official languages commission
  • officer, Premier’s Office (provincial government)
  • officer, Prime Minister’s Office (federal government)
  • officer, Privy Council Office
  • officer, protocol – government services
  • officer, public inquiries
  • officer, regional committee – government services
  • officer, regional council
  • officer, royal commission
  • officer, Senate committee
  • officer, standing committee
  • officer, standing or select committee
  • officer, task force
  • officer, territorial council
  • officer, tribunal
  • official languages promotion officer
  • parole board member
  • protocol officer
  • refugee board member
  • research officer – federal and intergovernmental affairs
  • returning officer
  • royal commission officer
  • second secretary, foreign service
  • select committee officer
  • Senate committee officer
  • standing committee officer
  • task force officer
  • territorial council officer
  • third secretary, foreign service
  • tribunal chairperson
  • tribunal member
  • tribunal officer
  • tribunal officer – government services


  • Administrative officers (1221)
  • Court officers and justices of the peace (1227)
  • Economists and economic policy researchers and analysts (4162)
  • Employment insurance, immigration, border services and revenue officers (1228)
  • Executive assistants (1222)
  • Social policy researchers, consultants and program officers (4164)



Processing Time

Program Categories Online
Canadian visa application processing time
Temporary Resident Visa
33 Days
Visitor Record
84 Days
Super Visa 92 Days
Study Permit Made Outside Canada
15 Weeks
Study Permit Made Intside Canada
12 Weeks
Study Permit Extension 45 Days
Post Graduation Work Permit Made Outside Canada 15 Weeks
Post Graduation Work Permit Made Inside Canada 91 Days
Briding Open Work Permit
91 Days
Canadian immigration application processing time
Express Entry
5 Months
Provincial Nominee Program
11 Months
Self-employed Immigration
51 Months
Federal Skilled Worker Program
5 Months
Start-up Visa
37 Months
Spouse/CommonLaw Sponsorship
11 Months
(Grand) Parents Sponsorship
20 Months
Canadian Citizenship/PR Card processing time
8 Months
PR Card
72 Days
PR Card Renewal
60 Days

Recent Posts


About Us

We are a licensed immigration company that can legally represent clients in applying for study, work, visitor visa and immigration in Canada. We are composed of a number of licensed immigration consultants approved by the Canadian immigration regulatory authorities. Our business categories include Canadian skilled immigration, express entry immigration, sponsorship immigration, and self-employed immigration. Our characteristics: sincere and attentive, professional and efficient, low prices, high success rate, transparent information.