Officers and inspectors in this unit group enforce by-laws and regulations of provincial and municipal governments. They are employed by provincial and municipal governments and agencies.
The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
- Animal control officers respond to citizen complaints concerning stray domestic animals, livestock and wildlife; issue warnings and citations to owners; and impound lost, homeless and dangerous animals.
- By-law enforcement officers enforce municipal and provincial regulations, investigate complaints, and issue warnings and citations to commercial and residential property owners and occupants.
- Commercial transport inspectors inspect commercial vehicles to ensure compliance with regulations governing load restrictions, the transportation of hazardous materials and public safety.
- Garbage collection inspectors investigate complaints concerning infractions of garbage collection by-laws.
- Liquor licence inspectors conduct inspections of licensed establishments, advise licencees on laws and regulations, and report contravention of laws and regulations to provincial liquor control boards and agencies.
- Parking control officers enforce parking by-laws on city streets, regional roads and municipal properties.
- Taxi inspectors inspect taxicabs for mechanical reliability, cleanliness, licensing and meter accuracy; investigate public complaints, issue citations and prepare reports; and give evidence to city councils, taxi commissions and in court.
- Zoning inspectors investigate properties in violation of zoning and related by-laws, after receiving requests for licence clearances pertaining to zoning and related by-laws, and on receipt of building permit applications.
By-law enforcement officers may specialize in the enforcement of one specific by-law.
- Completion of secondary school is required.
- Completion of a college program or courses in law and security or other related field
Experience in a related administrative or regulatory occupation is usually required.
- Zoning inspectors or zoning enforcement officers may require a college diploma as a civil engineering or architectural technologist or technician and several years of experience in enforcement and/or building construction or a related field.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- animal control inspector
- animal control officer
- animal control supervisor
- by-law enforcement officer
- by-law enforcement officers supervisor
- commercial transport inspector
- commercial vehicle enforcement officer
- development control officer
- dog catcher
- dog warden
- garbage collection inspector
- highway scale operator
- Humane Society inspector
- Humane Society officer
- inspector – by-law enforcement
- inspector – municipal law enforcement
- licence inspector
- liquor board licence inspector
- liquor licence inspector
- lottery supervisor – government services
- municipal law enforcement officer
- municipal law enforcement officers supervisor
- officer, by-law enforcement
- officer, municipal law enforcement
- parking control officer
- pound officer
- property standards inspector
- property use inspector
- right of way inspector
- road transport inspector
- service station inspector
- sign inspector
- subdivision control officer
- supervisor, animal control
- supervisor, by-law enforcement officers
- supervisor, municipal law enforcement officers
- taxi inspector
- traffic supervisor – by-law enforcement
- transport compliance officer
- transportation enforcement officer
- weigh station operator – by-law enforcement
- zoning enforcement officer
- zoning inspector
- Employment insurance, immigration, border services and revenue officers (1228)
- Engineering inspectors and regulatory officers (2262)
- Inspectors in public and environmental health and occupational health and safety (2263)
- Police officers (except commissioned) (4311)
- Sheriffs and bailiffs (4421)