This unit group includes workers who sell goods or services during home demonstrations or by telephone soliciting, retail exhibitions or street vending. They are employed by a wide range of retail and wholesale establishments, manufacturers, telemarketing companies and call centres, or they may be self-employed.
Progression to related supervisory positions is possible with additional training or experience.
The following is a summary of main duties for some occupations in this unit group:
- Direct distributors, contact potential customers by phone or through personal contacts, demonstrate and sell products directly to individual customers or at sales parties and deliver purchased goods to customers.
- Door-to-door salespersons solicit sales and sell merchandise to residents of private homes.
- Street vendors set up and display merchandise on sidewalks or at public events to sell to the public.
- Telephone solicitors and telemarketers contact businesses or private individuals, by telephone, to solicit sales for goods or services or conduct market surveys.
- Demonstrators arrange sales demonstration appointments, and show, describe and sell goods or services at wholesale, retail and industrial establishments, and at exhibitions, trade shows and private homes.
- Some secondary school education is usually required. High school graduation may be required by some employers.
- Self-employed street vendors and door-to-door salespersons may require a municipal merchant’s permit.
- beauty products consultant – door-to-door sales
- beauty products representative – home sales
- canvasser – retail
- canvassing agent
- catalogue agent – retail
- catalogue sales agent – retail
- cigarette vendor
- cleaning products salesperson – door-to-door salescleaning products salesman – door-to-door sales, cleaning products saleswoman – door-to-door sales
- comparison shopper
- cosmetics demonstrator – retail
- cosmetics salesperson – home salescosmetics salesman – home sales, cosmetics saleswoman – home sales
- demonstrator – retail
- direct distributor – retail
- direct seller
- door-to-door salesperson
- food demonstrator – retail
- home demonstrator – retail
- home salesperson
- magazine distribution agent – retail
- magazine subscription solicitor
- newspaper vendor
- newspaper vendor – street sales
- personal shopper
- promotions demonstator
- street vendor
- subscription agent – retail
- subscription solicitor
- telephone sales agent
- telephone sales clerk
- telephone salesperson
- telephone solicitor
- Cashiers (6611)
- Kiosk sales clerks (See 6421 Retail salespersons)
- Retail and wholesale trade managers (0621)
- Retail sales supervisors (6211)