Workers in this unit group test, repair and service small gasoline and diesel-powered engines and equipment, such as garden tractors, outboard motors, lawn mowers and other related equipment. They are employed by dealer service shops and by independent service establishments.
Progression to supervisory positions is possible with experience.
Workers in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Review work orders and discuss work to be performed with supervisor
- Inspect and test engines and other mechanical components using test devices to diagnose and isolate faults
- Adjust, repair or replace mechanical or electrical system parts and components using hand tools and equipment
- Test and adjust repaired equipment for proper performance
- Perform scheduled maintenance service on equipment
- Advise customers on work performed and general condition of equipment
- Determine estimates of repair cost.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a three- to four-year apprenticeship program in small engine or equipment repair
A combination of several years of work experience in the trade and some high school or college courses in small engine or equipment repair are usually required for trade certification.
- Small engine or equipment mechanic trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Newfoundland and Labrador, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Ontario and Nunavut.
- Inboard/outboard mechanic trade certification is available, but voluntary, in Ontario and British Columbia.
- Outdoor power equipment technician trade certification, for specified types of equipment, is available, but voluntary, in Manitoba, Alberta, British Columbia, the Yukon, the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- air-cooled engine mechanic
- apprentice mechanic, small engines
- apprentice mechanic, small equipment
- apprentice small engine mechanic
- garden tractor repairergarden tractor repairman, garden tractor repairwoman
- gasoline-powered lawn mower mechanic
- gasoline-powered snow blower repairergasoline-powered snow blower repairman, gasoline-powered snow blower repairwoman, repairman, gasoline-powered snow blowers, repairwoman, gasoline-powered snow blowers
- gas-powered small equipment mechanic
- lawn and garden equipment technician
- lawn mower repairer, gasoline poweredlawn mower repairman, gasoline powered, lawn mower repairwoman, gasoline powered, repairman, gasoline-powered lawn mowers, repairwoman, gasoline-powered lawn mowers
- mechanic, gasoline-powered lawn mowers
- mechanic, gas-powered small engines
- mechanic, small engines
- mechanic, small engines and equipment
- outdoor power equipment technician
- repairer, gasoline-powered lawn mowers
- repairer, gasoline-powered snow blowers
- repairer, small enginesrepairman, small engines, repairwoman, small engines, small engine repairman, small engine repairwoman
- repairer, small equipmentrepairman, small equipment, repairwoman, small equipment, small equipment repairman, small equipment repairwoman
- small engine and equipment mechanic
- small engine mechanic
- small engine repairer
- small engine technician
- small equipment mechanic apprentice
- small equipment repairer
- technician, lawn and garden equipment
- technician, outdoor power equipment
- technician, small engine
- Appliance servicers and repairers (7332)
- Motorcycle, all-terrain vehicle and other related mechanics (7334)
- Supervisors of small engine and equipment mechanics (See 7301 Contractors and supervisors, mechanic trades)