Supervisors in this unit group supervise and co-ordinate the activities of workers engaged in logging operations and silvicultural operations. They are employed by logging companies, contractors and government agencies.
Supervisors in this unit group perform some or all of the following duties:
- Supervise and co-ordinate the activities of logging and forestry workers in woodland operations, often in several work locations over several square kilometres
- Oversee silvicultural activities such as scarification, planting and vegetation control
- Schedule work crews, equipment and transportation for several work locations
- Resolve work problems and recommend measures to improve work methods
- Instruct workers in safety, recognize unsafe work conditions and modify work procedures
- Ensure that government regulations are met
- Communicate with forestry technical, professional and management personnel regarding forest harvesting and forest management plans, procedures and schedules
- Prepare production and other reports
- Hire and train new workers.
- Completion of secondary school is usually required.
- Completion of a one- to three-year college program for forestry technologists or technicians may be required.
- Formal company training and several months of on-the-job training are provided.
- Several years of experience as a logger, silvicultural worker, or logging machinery operator are usually required.
- A chemical application licence may be required.
- An industrial first aid certificate may be required.
- boom master – logging
- buckers supervisor
- contractor, forest conservation
- contractor, logging
- contractor, silviculture
- fire suppression crew foreman/woman – forestryfire suppression crew foreman – forestry, fire suppression crew forewoman – forestry
- foreman/woman, forestryforeman, forestry, forestry foreman, forestry forewoman, forewoman, forestry, woods foreman, woods forewoman
- foreman/woman, loggingforeman, logging, forewoman, logging, logging foreman, logging forewoman
- foreman/woman, planting crewforeman, planting crew, forewoman, planting crew, planting crew foreman, planting crew forewoman
- foreman/woman, pondforeman, pond, forewoman, pond, pond foreman, pond forewoman
- forest operations supervisor
- forestry conservation contractor
- forestry crew supervisor
- forestry foreman/woman
- forestry supervisor
- grapple yarder hook tender
- hook and rig supervisor – logging
- hook tender – logginghook tender
- loading foreman/woman – loggingloading foreman – logging, loading forewoman – logging
- log yarding boss
- loggers supervisor – forestry
- logging contractor
- logging crew supervisor – forestry
- logging foreman/woman
- logging supervisor
- planting crew foreman/woman
- pond foreman/woman
- production supervisor – logging
- setting foreman/woman loggingsetting foreman logging, setting forewoman logging
- silviculture contractor
- silviculture supervisor
- skidders foreman/woman – loggingskidders foreman – logging, skidders forewoman – logging
- supervisor, forest operations
- supervisor, forestry
- supervisor, forestry crew
- supervisor, logging
- woods foreman/woman
- Chain saw and skidder operators (8421)
- Forestry technologists and technicians (2223)
- Logging and forestry managers (See 0811 Managers in natural resources production and fishing)
- Logging machinery operators (8241)
- Silviculture and forestry workers (8422)