Fishing vessel deckhands perform a variety of manual tasks on commercial fishing voyages, and maintain fishing vessels. They are employed by establishments that operate commercial fishing vessels and by self-employed fishermen/women.
Fishing vessel deckhands may become skippers upon acquiring an entry licence and a boat.
Fishing vessel deckhands may progress to watchkeeper or mate positions with additional training.
Fishing vessel deckhands perform some or all of the following duties:
- Prepare nets, lines and other fishing tackle, and operate fishing gear to catch fish and other marine life
- Clean, sort and pack fish in ice and stow catch in hold
- Repair nets, splice ropes and maintain fishing gear and other deck equipment
- Clean deck surfaces and fish hold
- Handle mooring lines during docking
- May steer vessels to and from fishing areas
- May prepare and cook meals for crew members.
- There are no specific educational requirements.
- On-the-job training is provided.
- Trawlermen/women require at least one year of experience.
- Fishing vessel deckhands require a commercial fishing licence.
- checkerman/woman, fishing vesselcheckerman, fishing vessel, checkerwoman, fishing vessel, fishing vessel checkerman, fishing vessel checkerwoman
- crewman/woman, fishing vesselcrewman, fishing vessel, crewwoman, fishing vessel, fishing vessel crewman, fishing vessel crewwoman
- deckhand, fishing vessel
- deckhand, gillnetter
- deckhand, offshore trawler
- deckhand, seiner
- deckhand, shellfish harvester
- fishboat deckhand
- fishing vessel checkerman/woman
- fishing vessel crewman/woman
- fishing vessel deckhand
- fishing vessel icer
- fishing vessel netmender
- fishing vessel rollerman/womanfishing vessel rollerman, fishing vessel rollerwoman, rollerman, fishing vessel, rollerwoman, fishing vessel
- fishing vessel skiffman/womanfishing vessel skiffman, fishing vessel skiffwoman, skiffman, fishing vessel, skiffwoman, fishing vessel
- gillnetter deckhand
- icer, fishing vessel
- netmender, fishing vessel
- offshore trawler deckhand
- rollerman/woman, fishing vessel
- seiner deckhand
- shellfish harvester deckhand
- skiffman/woman, fishing vessel
- Deck officers, water transport (2273)
- Fishermen/women (8262)
- Fishing masters and officers (8261)